Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inspiring affection.‘an endearing little grin’
lovable, adorable, cute, sweet, dear, delightful, lovely, charming, appealing, attractive, engaging, winning, captivating, enchanting, beguiling, winsomebonnyadorbstakingView synonyms
- ‘I often attributed his popularity to his lovely, large, endearing eyes and his tinkle of a laugh.’
- ‘However, their pointed, white-coloured tusks and large ears give them an endearing look.’
- ‘I'm supposed to find last weekend an endearing joke or something.’
- ‘He ranks as one of the country's most endearing singers.’
- ‘British sports fans are certainly not an endearing lot and have earned that reputation from most beyond the realm.’
- ‘Evans has a way of combining generous understatement with a big grin that is very endearing.’
- ‘He also played a number of endearing characters, and was truly one of the most versatile players in Bollywood.’
- ‘You have an endearing quality of youth and innocence that attracts people around you today.’
- ‘No one except the Lord spoke to him like that with such an endearing term of undying affection.’
- ‘That passion, his knowledge and that endearing easy-going manner have made him a very marketable product.’
- ‘As a lawyer and a husband he is not perfect - far from it - but his desire to be good is what makes him endearing.’
- ‘In person, he projects a vulnerability that's nothing short of endearing.’
- ‘The river has a long history of crazy characters - crazy in an endearing sort of way.’
- ‘It's a tendency that is both endearing and mildly frustrating.’
- ‘She was a wonderful neighbour who had many endearing qualities which made her a great favourite of all she met.’
- ‘Of course, Maria's movie career did not begin and end with this endearing comedy.’
- ‘Needless to say, she also made news as a person of endearing charm, winning the hearts of the public.’
- ‘I can't help getting irritated with people who think being unable to programme the video is somehow an endearing trait.’
- ‘But Ms Cooper turned adversity into advantage by making an endearing apology.’
- ‘Few understood Messiaen early on, most considering him an eccentric if endearing crackpot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.