Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A flattened piece at or forming the end of something such as a motor or dynamo:‘the electromagnet assembly has a detachable end plate’
- ‘The linkage allows the spring assembly to be rigidly mounted under the bottom end plate.’
- ‘This destroyed the rear wing end plate and part of the rear diffuser causing a significant loss of downforce.’
- ‘The large end plate on the wing works like an aerodynamic brake and produces the necessary speed wash off.’
- ‘Locking the hinged end plates forward converts the tool to a box blade.’
- ‘An end plate is secured to the canister at the open end and includes an inlet port and an outlet port to provide for fluid communication with a mounting adaptor of an oil circuit.’
- ‘Wilton drew the gunlike contraption and stuck the end plate between the doors.’
- ‘The case must be one piece with removable front and rear bearing end plates, and the rotor must be contained within the one-piece case.’
Each of the discoid expansions of a motor nerve where its branches terminate on a muscle fibre.
- ‘A perpendicular is erected from the end plate of the most caudal vertebrae, whose inferior end plate tilts maximally to the concavity of the curve (inferior end vertebrae).’
- ‘New compression fractures were noted in superior end plates.’
- ‘The unique arrangement of muscle fibers and motor end plates in hummingbird pectoral muscle may be related to such energy storage.’
- ‘Axons travel from the neurons located in nuclei within the brain stem via the cranial nerves without synaptic interruption to the motor end plates on the striated muscle.’
- ‘This process puts greater stress on the articular cartilage of the vertebrae and their respective end plates.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.