Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Intrusion on a person's territory, rights, etc.‘minor encroachments on our individual liberties’
intrusion into, trespass on, invasion of, infiltration of, incursion into, obtrusion into, overrunning of, usurping of, appropriation ofinfringement of, impingement on, impinging onView synonyms
- ‘His 30-yard free kick flew over the bar but the referee ordered the kick to be retaken for encroachment and moved the ball 10 yards forward.’
- 1.1A gradual advance beyond usual or acceptable limits.‘urban encroachment of habitat’
- ‘But for now the Kumbh is big enough, and the devotion intense enough, to absorb the encroachment of business.’
- ‘Since the 16th century, the people of Peru have fought to retain their cultural identity despite Western encroachment.’
- ‘There is a constant struggle to win back the Garden from the erosions of time and the encroachments of the forest primeval.’
- ‘The pattern of tree encroachment was very different from the gradual encroachment identified in Transect B.’
- ‘The developers also plan to prohibit further land encroachment along the banks of the canal.’
- ‘There is nothing wrong with employing a brigade to conduct a raid or as the assault element of a major encroachment.’
- ‘They seem to have no answer for sustained habitat loss due to human encroachment.’
- ‘The encroachment of government into private industry should be commensurately less.’
- ‘Camps once built in remote rural environments are now squeezed by the encroachment of suburban sprawl.’
- ‘We have also to ensure that seawater is not able to make encroachments on the land.’
- ‘The aim is not to abolish state power, but to prevent its encroachment upon those matters which are best left to civil society.’
- ‘Due to encroachments, the birds are losing their habitat.’
- ‘Improvement in amenities without encroachment on the Green Belt is the general aim.’
- ‘There is clearly an encroachment into the tourist potential of Warrenpoint.’
- ‘Transect D had a gradual tree encroachment pattern similar to Transect B.’
- ‘The results were derived from a 3.5 year observational study of median encroachments.’
- ‘Far from harming the city, encroachment on the green belt will harm the surrounding villages.’
- ‘Heritage advice prevented any encroachment beyond the original railway station alignment.’
- ‘However, officials say this is a simple case of encroachment of the tank's water spread area and the tank bed.’
- ‘The paddy fields in Kerala have to be protected from human encroachment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.