One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evolutionary increase in the complexity or relative size of the brain, involving a shift of function from non-cortical parts of the brain to the cortex.
- ‘Moreover, a trend toward increased encephalization within many mammalian taxa is widely recognized.’
- ‘The resulting degree of encephalization is unique, and clearly causes (and is probably also caused by) some qualitative differences in language, tools and social organization.’
- ‘The increased encephalization of the human fetus - the size of its brain and therefore its skull - compared with any other animal has meant that the female pelvis has had to expand even further to ensure safe passage.’
- ‘In 1973, Jerison attempted to establish a quantitative measure of intelligence with his concept of the encephalization quotient, which was the ratio of actual brain size to expected ‘average’ brain size.’
- ‘For example, it is known that major increases in encephalization occurred only after the appearance of early Homo.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.