One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A substance that stabilizes an emulsion, in particular an additive used to stabilize processed foods.
- ‘You'll probably find that they also squeeze in quite a few fat substitutes, thickening agents, colouring chemicals, emulsifiers, antioxidants and a lot of something called ‘natural flavourings’.’
- ‘Making cheese yourself lets you control the ingredients and the use of additives, like stabilizers and emulsifiers, that are sometimes added to the cheese sold at your local supermarket.’
- ‘Detergents are chemical compounds that contain wetting agents and emulsifiers.’
- ‘An example of an anionic emulsifier is stearic acid.’
- ‘For example, in developing new all-dairy based puddings, we could not use the typical stabilizers and emulsifiers, such as modified food starch and sodium stearoyl lactylate, found in conventional puddings.’
- ‘Processed foods, such as junk foods and fast foods, contain synthetic additives - preservatives, emulsifiers, thickeners, stabilizers and flavor-enhancers.’
- ‘Natural peanut butter is the way to go, since no sugar, emulsifiers or preservatives have been loaded in.’
- ‘These are made into an emulsion which depends for its stability on chemical emulsifiers.’
- ‘High-fat, or ‘premium’, ice creams are less dependent on stabilizers and emulsifiers, because the fat does what it is supposed to without as much assistance.’
- ‘Store bought whole wheat bread also contains the same emulsifiers, and chemical by products that are in store bought white bread.’
- ‘Ingredients such as stabilizers and emulsifiers can be important in maintaining flavor quality and beverage appearance.’
- ‘Many commercial, large-scale manufacturers make ice cream from fat, water, milk proteins, sugar, stabilisers and emulsifiers.’
- ‘In the food industry, fatty acids are used as emulsifiers, stabilizers, lubricants, and defoamers.’
- ‘The ingredients - water, milk protein, fat, sugar, emulsifiers, stabilizers, flavours and a lot of air - are mixed together before being pasteurized and homogenized.’
- ‘They also contain special ingredients called emulsifiers that allow water and oil to combine together in a stable manner.’
- ‘It is further contaminated with chemicals such as emulsifiers, preservatives and antioxidants designed to increase its shelf life and improve its commercial viability.’
- ‘Spray oil includes soaplike emulsifiers that allow water and oil to mix for spraying.’
- ‘Other ingredients in an ice cream mix are sweeteners, stabilizers and emulsifiers.’
- ‘These act to ionise the cationic emulsifiers, resulting in enhanced emulsion performance.’
- ‘Bitumen emulsions are a dispersion of bitumen in an aqueous continuous phase, stabilised by the addition of an emulsifier.’
2An apparatus used for making an emulsion by stirring or shaking a substance.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.