One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Carry out a detailed search of an area.‘the men form a line and emu-bob through the waist-high scrub’with object ‘after emu-bobbing the surroundings for potential clues, they return along the track’
- ‘Groups of cadets scoured the area 'emu-bobbing' to ensure there was no litter.’
- ‘While waiting, they emu-bobbed the outer vicinity and the nearby roadside verges.’
- ‘After emu-bobbing the surrounds for potential clues, they sent the constables to return along the track.’
- ‘They are emu-bobbing the desert at the moment with choppers.’
- ‘The scouts spend much of the afternoon emu-bobbing through the scrub.’
Early 20th century: with allusion to the movements of an emu bending its neck towards the ground in search of food.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.