Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A condition in which the air sacs of the lungs are damaged and enlarged, causing breathlessness.‘smoking can lead to serious lung diseases such as emphysema’
- ‘Sometimes people with a chronic lung disease such as emphysema or bronchitis can take beta blockers.’
- ‘As adults, we know that smoking leads to life-threatening illnesses such as heart disease, emphysema and lung cancer.’
- ‘Other important causes of shortness of breath are asthma, emphysema, pneumonia, and clots to the lung.’
- ‘About 90 % of people who get lung cancer are smokers, as are some 75 % of emphysema sufferers.’
- ‘Patients with severe emphysema had severe airflow obstruction, hyperinflation, and air trapping.’
- ‘A 49-year-old man with end-stage emphysema underwent bilateral sequential single lung transplantation.’
- ‘An additional fourth group included 10 patients with emphysema who underwent lung volume reduction surgery.’
- ‘Chest computed tomography showed giant lung bullae and severe upper lobe emphysema.’
- ‘Visit any ward full of lung cancer and emphysema patients fighting for breath.’
- ‘The distribution of the two forms of emphysema in the lungs differs.’
- ‘But in emphysema patients, some lung tissue loses its elasticity.’
- ‘Both macrophages and neutrophils are now clearly implicated in the development of smokers' emphysema.’
- ‘If you have emphysema, your air sacs are damaged, and the smallest bronchial tubes collapse.’
- ‘He had developed emphysema and had a stroke to go along with his heart problems.’
- ‘Whether this mechanism of matrix destruction is important to smokers' emphysema in humans, however, is still uncertain.’
- ‘Pulmonary emphysema is a disease that is characterized, if not defined, by the destruction of lung parenchyma.’
- ‘The great majority of these patients are cigarette smokers with advance upper lobe emphysema.’
- ‘Remember asthma affects the lung tubes primarily and emphysema the air sacs.’
- ‘Then we need to add chronic lung diseases such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis to the list of smoking-caused illnesses.’
- ‘Reports at this meeting showed convincingly that chronic tobacco smoke exposure produces emphysema in mice.’
2A condition in which air is abnormally present within the body tissues.
- ‘Postoperative subcutaneous emphysema occurred in 8 cases.’
- ‘A chest radiograph showed mediastinal and subcutaneous emphysema and interstitial scarring.’
- ‘Our patient presented with mild dyspnea and dysphonia and demonstrated subcutaneous emphysema and Hamman's sign.’
- ‘She was unable to open her right eye because of the subcutaneous emphysema.’
- ‘Tachycardia may be present, as well as subcutaneous emphysema.’
- ‘Another patient has developed surgical emphysema.’
Mid 17th century (in emphysema): via late Latin from Greek emphusēma, from emphusan puff up.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.