One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The largest penguin, which has a yellow patch on each side of the head and rears its young during the Antarctic winter.
- ‘Only one bird - the emperor penguin - will winter on Antarctica and use the frozen continent as a nursery.’
- ‘But what really fascinates, and confounds, scientists is the emperor penguin's abilities as a deep-sea diver.’
- ‘An emperor penguin is a hefty bird, weighing about forty pounds - in the same range as the flightless South American rhea, which is similar to an ostrich.’
- ‘Unexpectedly, a large emperor penguin came sliding in from miles away to watch us.’
- ‘The emperor penguin is the largest penguin species and also one of the few found in Antarctica.’
- ‘It was also thought that the emperor penguin was the most primitive of existing birds, so the contents of the penguin's eggs might reveal the evolutionary origin of birds.’
- ‘I ended the book with a photograph of an emperor penguin chick from the Antarctic.’
- ‘Raging hormones might help explain why female emperor penguins that have lost a baby sometimes kidnap the chick of another.’
- ‘Adelies are one of only two penguin species, the other being the emperor penguin, that breed on the shores of the Antarctic continent.’
- ‘Love, it turns out, has very little to do with the mating habits of the emperor penguin.’
- ‘The only apex predators that live year-round at high latitudes of the Ross Sea are the Weddell seal and emperor penguin.’
- ‘Ponganis, the emperor penguin expert, says increased tourism may have negative effects on penguin populations.’
- ‘That astonishing insulation is critical because not only do emperor penguins rear their young in the extreme Antarctic environment - they do it while fasting.’
- ‘Of the 17 species of penguins, the largest is the emperor penguin: At 4 feet tall and 65 to 90 pounds, it is about three times the size of the smallest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.