One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Showing an ability to understand and share the feelings of another.‘she's compassionate and empathetic towards her daughter’‘I have been touched by the empathetic response to my bad luck’
- ‘Antoine's immaturity is laid bare, but in a surprisingly nuanced and empathetic manner.’
- ‘He launched into a sensitive, empathetic account of Mekas's early life and his exile from Lithuania.’
- ‘I changed hospitals as part of my rotation and worked with an unusually empathetic consultant.’
- ‘The trouble with being a fairly empathetic person is that makes it hard to say no to anyone in pain.’
- ‘Yes, we can be selfish but we are also highly empathetic and supportive.’
- ‘I am a firm believer in teaching children to be empathetic with others.’
- ‘But they could not be empathetic, they just couldn't understand because it had not happened to them.’
- ‘By humanizing his characters, he brings us to an empathetic understanding of what might have brought them to where they are now.’
- ‘We can't increase their pay or decrease their time away from home, but we can be empathetic and caring supervisors.’
- ‘Trial attorneys know that some jurors are more empathetic than others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.