One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small digital image or icon used to express an idea or emotion.‘emoji liven up your text messages with tiny smiley faces’
- ‘It also includes an extensive list of over 500 Emoji for a vivid commenting experience.’
- ‘Purists value keyboard-only emoticons, while younger generations embrace an advanced set of icons - the emoji.’
- ‘On my devices, I have three keyboards configured: English, Italian and Emoji.’
- ‘Add a photo to the conversation and/or send some of the 800+ emoji to your co-workers.’
- ‘Thanks to emoji, the subtlety of first generation emoticons could be lost on younger generations.’
- ‘The text message consisted of a series of banana emojis.’
- ‘Although emojis have added a level of expression to texting, the written mode of communication still falls short of saying what you really feel.’
- ‘She'll insert the clapping hands emoji to congratulate.’
- ‘You can still use the default iOS emoji within Facebook Messages by enabling them in your device's keyboard settings.’
- ‘Earlier today we asked you, faithful Twitter followers, which emojis you most despised.’
- ‘It's a more engaged way to communicate and will finally allow you to send more than just emojis back and forth.’
- ‘Just as fast as the emoji arrived, the evolution is on the horizon - icons you can personalize.’
- ‘It's unfortunate that the commonality of social interaction relies on the implied tone of voice through emojis, emoticons, textual jargon and caps lock.’
- ‘Creative, colorful, and sometimes perplexing, emoji add energy to SMS messages.’
- ‘Nobody designs online features better, and its article on how emoji conquered the world is a first-rate example.’
1990s: Japanese, from e ‘picture’ + moji ‘letter, character’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.