One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance that stimulates or increases menstrual flow.
- ‘Both herbs are emmenagogues - they bring down the menstrual flow.’
- ‘The Chinese variety has emmenagogue and diuretic properties and is used for delayed menstruation and urinary problems.’
- ‘One of its prime uses was as an abortifacient and emmenagogue.’
- ‘They are often taken as an emmenagogue and given as a vermifuge.’
- ‘Macrotys is unique in combining emmenagogue (blood moving) and antispasmodic properties.’
- ‘In the Philippines, it is used as an emmenagogue (an agent to induce menstruation).’
Early 18th century: from Greek emmēna ‘menses’ + agōgos ‘eliciting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.