One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system by which countries and organizations receive permits to produce a specified amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which they may trade with others.
- ‘On January 1, the European Union will launch emissions trading to implement legal caps.’
- ‘Measured against what it would take to actually cool the planet, emissions trading is ultimately a form of institutional denial.’
- ‘Under a climate plan with emissions trading, the range of losses could be cut in half.’
- ‘Emissions trading provides industry with flexibility to cost effectively reduce greenhouse gas emissions at industry facilities or off site through trading.’
- ‘In the wake of the 2002 carbon tax, emissions trading seemed easier to sell to a hostile business community than regulation.’
- ‘Finally, there is the issue of emissions trading.’
- ‘He said emissions trading was " a very real option ".’
- ‘The OECD believes that carbon taxes are a key to making emissions trading viable.’
- ‘Point B represents the same total cost to the economy except that now emissions trading is prohibited.’
- ‘Emissions trading "lets the market figure out the best way to solve the problem," he said.’
- ‘Lowery said a major planting programme could save the exchequer up to € 100 million in emissions trading.’
- ‘Any credit from international emissions trading should be very limited.’
- ‘The United States has resisted European efforts to restrict the percentage of a country's commitments that can be met by emissions trading.’
- ‘The reduction of other harmful gases has been supported by emissions trading for more than a decade in the United States.’
- ‘Emissions trading can, however, complement the introduction of other policy instruments, increasing their chances of success.’
- ‘The philosophy behind emissions trading is that it is a way of achieving environmental goals at minimum cost.’
- ‘Carbon emissions trading is not an alternative to regulation; it is a mechanism that allows least cost achievement of regulated targets.’
- ‘The strategy also calls on all nations to replace emissions trading with an equitable fossil-fuel efficiency standard.’
- ‘They would restrict or eliminate emissions trading, thus preventing industry from seeking out the best solutions.’
- ‘That confusion makes any scheme of fixed quotas, including "emissions trading," out of the question.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.