Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a source.Compare with absorption spectrum
- ‘The gain or the stimulated emission spectrum should be spectrally similar to the steady-state fluorescence spectrum and show similar solvent dependence.’
- ‘First, the emission spectrum of the donor molecule must overlap with the absorbance spectrum of the acceptor.’
- ‘The collection of wavelengths of light emitted by hydrogen gas is called the emission spectrum of hydrogen, and there is a corresponding spectrum for absorption.’
- ‘This external cavity configuration allows the wavelength of the laser to be tuned across the broad emission spectrum typical of glass-host lasers by changing the prism angle.’
- ‘It is likely that both the absorption spectrum and the emission spectrum are changed at high intensities with respect to the low-intensity spectra of DsRed recorded by conventional spectrometers.’
- ‘In this way, the mean relative intensities of the emission spectra were calculated to obtain an averaged emission spectrum for each species.’
- ‘The position of the rose bengal emission spectrum in the trypsinbound state resembles the emission spectrum of rose bengal in neat acetone.’
- ‘In liposomes the excitation spectrum is shifted to higher wavelengths and the emission spectrum to lower wavelengths, typical of a fluorophore moving into a more hydrophobic environment.’
- ‘Then, comparing the companion's infrared emission spectrum with spectra calculated from models of gas giants, they concluded that the companion is most likely two to three times as massive as Jupiter.’
- ‘The emissions are then analyzed and separated into an emission spectrum that is characteristic for each element.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.