One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rank, lands, or reign of an emir.as name ‘the United Arab Emirates’
- ‘The United Arab Emirates is a confederation of seven sheikdoms (regions headed by a sheik or emir), or emirates, located on the shore of the Persian Gulf.’
- ‘But from 1300, the frontier emirate of Anatolia began slowly to eat into Byzantine territory, and in 1453 old dreams were realised and the ancient city of Byzantium acquired its present name: Istanbul.’
- ‘But with more than 80% of the emirate's population now coming from abroad, Dubai is already a kind of Babel.’
- ‘He teaches in Abu Dhabi, the official capital of the UAE, as well as the Abu Dhabi Emirate, the wealthiest emirate in the country, thanks to the good old oil.’
- ‘Sheikh Mohammed serves as minister of defense of the United Arab Emirates and crown prince of the emirate of Dubai.’
- ‘Dubai is one of the seven emirates that constitute the United Arab Emirates’
- ‘The second largest of the seven emirates which make up the United Arab Emirates, Dubai is located on the southern shore of the Arabian Gulf.’
- ‘Garrisoning troops on the Arabian Peninsula - and not just in the tiny coastal emirates where there's some precedent for it - is just a losing proposition.’
- ‘As you can see on this map, the southern and eastern fringes of the Arabian Peninsula are ringed by a series of emirates and sultanates.’
- ‘In fact, UAE nationals currently comprise fewer than 20 percent of the inhabitants of Abu Dhabi Emirate, and many of them are citizens of other emirates belonging to the Federation.’
- ‘Abu Dhabi represents 85 percent of the land, and the smallest emirate is Ajman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.