One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The public organizations that respond to and deal with emergencies when they occur, especially the ambulance service, the police, and the fire brigade.
- ‘Three years ago he was promoted to general manager with responsibility for the paramedic emergency service.’
- ‘He heard the sound of the police officers and emergency service crews, as well as the sirens of many different vehicles.’
- ‘In Britain temporary pacing is usually provided in district general hospitals by general physicians as part of an emergency service.’
- ‘So the strain that, particularly our firefighters and police officers and emergency service workers have been under, is enormous.’
- ‘I see several emergency service workers carrying other emergency service workers from the scene.’
- ‘As riders and spectators arrived at Howden Wood, many gave generously to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, the emergency service which money was being raised for at the event.’
- ‘The police are not only in the business of crime detection: we are the first emergency service, a genuine 24-hour service.’
- ‘Ambulance staff have asked the people of York, and North and East Yorkshire to help them get through the festive period - the emergency service's busiest time of year.’
- ‘They are like an emergency service and they are there if we need them.’
- ‘In serious emergencies consider dialling 999/112 for an ambulance or other emergency service to minimise delay.’
- ‘That will keep the body receptive to defibrillation when the emergency service arrives.’
- ‘No country in the area has a welfare state or a properly organised emergency service - there are almost no public ambulances.’
- ‘But we would also say that this service is an emergency service.’
- ‘Is it your sense that you are prepared with your emergency service people, your public safety officers to withstand the storm?’
- ‘The final emergency service to be considered is the ambulance service.’
- ‘They may not be as quick as Darren Campbell or have the stamina of Paula Radcliffe but a few thousand workers of the emergency service are limbering up for a fiery contest of their own.’
- ‘Top of the poll was the Fire and Rescue Service, with 74 per cent of employers rating the emergency service as good or very good.’
- ‘Many people attending the champagne launch of the new Essex Air Ambulance will be counting their blessings for the emergency service.’
- ‘‘At the moment we are the only emergency service you can guarantee will be there in a matter of minutes,’ he says.’
- ‘In the face of such a large-scale violent incident, why did the Dingzhou emergency service and the police arrive so late?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.