Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The formation and development of an embryo.
- ‘Asexual embryogenesis and plantlet development in anther cultures of Cucumis sativus L. have been reported.’
- ‘The numbers of explants showing germination of zygotic embryos, callus formation and somatic embryogenesis were recorded every 4 weeks.’
- ‘The observed apical-basal polarity in the zygote of Arabidopsis and Fucus presages polar development during embryogenesis.’
- ‘Genetic analysis of lateral organ formation during embryogenesis has been restricted to a few model dicotyledons.’
- ‘Barley androgenesis is a suitable model system to study plant embryogenesis, as embryo development can easily be monitored in vitro.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.