One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Serving as a symbol of a particular quality or concept; symbolic.‘this case is emblematic of a larger problem’
symbolic, representative, demonstrative, suggestive, symptomatic, indicative, typical, characteristicallegorical, symbolic, symbolizing, metaphorical, parabolic, evocative, figurativeView synonyms
- ‘They're seen as emblematic, as representative, as illustrative of a relationship that America has with the rest of the world.’
- ‘That is really emblematic of what the country has been through.’
- ‘Here the statues so emblematic of Greek identity are phantoms of a shattered and shattering present.’
- ‘Indeed, the crisis at Rover has been emblematic of the character of the campaign to date.’
- ‘The downside is that this election's emblematic hardworking New Zealander might be smart enough to resent this.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.