One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Serving as a symbol of a particular quality or concept; symbolic.‘this case is emblematic of a larger problem’
symbolic, representative, demonstrative, suggestive, symptomatic, indicative, typical, characteristicallegorical, symbolic, symbolizing, metaphorical, parabolic, evocative, figurativeView synonyms
- ‘The downside is that this election's emblematic hardworking New Zealander might be smart enough to resent this.’
- ‘Here the statues so emblematic of Greek identity are phantoms of a shattered and shattering present.’
- ‘They're seen as emblematic, as representative, as illustrative of a relationship that America has with the rest of the world.’
- ‘Indeed, the crisis at Rover has been emblematic of the character of the campaign to date.’
- ‘That is really emblematic of what the country has been through.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.