One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book of a kind popular in medieval and Renaissance Europe, containing drawings accompanied by allegorical interpretations.
- ‘In one of his emblem books, the English poet Francis Quarles imagined a game of bowls between Mammon and Cupid on a lawn controlled by the Devil.’
- ‘She showed them examples of the many different forms a book can take, including a 16 th-century emblem book and artists' books by Robert Motherwell and Hanne Darboven.’
- ‘They draw from these dramatic traditions while imitating the succession of allegorical images in emblem books.’
- ‘The first printed emblem book, Andrea Alciato's Emblematum liber, can probably be traced in manuscript back to 1522 or even 1519.’
- ‘As the authors write, however, ‘Cats is one of the major figures in emblem literature,’ and his emblem books were a rich source for subsequent writers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.