One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book of a kind popular in medieval and Renaissance Europe, containing drawings accompanied by allegorical interpretations.
- ‘As the authors write, however, ‘Cats is one of the major figures in emblem literature,’ and his emblem books were a rich source for subsequent writers.’
- ‘She showed them examples of the many different forms a book can take, including a 16 th-century emblem book and artists' books by Robert Motherwell and Hanne Darboven.’
- ‘They draw from these dramatic traditions while imitating the succession of allegorical images in emblem books.’
- ‘In one of his emblem books, the English poet Francis Quarles imagined a game of bowls between Mammon and Cupid on a lawn controlled by the Devil.’
- ‘The first printed emblem book, Andrea Alciato's Emblematum liber, can probably be traced in manuscript back to 1522 or even 1519.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.