One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But true love was never all excuse for an unapproved marriage, and elopements frequently caused heartache and family break-up, particularly in aristocratic circles.’
- ‘While genuine elopements are now rare, the local registry office, which charges £148 for a marriage licence, now injects around £500,000 a year into the local economy.’
- ‘The Bertram sisters' elopements are the result of the flirtations that occur during rehearsals for amateur theatricals at Mansfield Park.’
- ‘However, at the end of the 1960s, elopements started to increase.’
- ‘Written in 1909 from his father's Dublin house during the couple's first separation since their elopement, the content is remarkable given Joyce's known distaste for spoken obscenity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.