One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or having the form of an ellipse.
oval, egg-shaped, ovate, ovoid, oviform, ellipsoidalView synonyms
- ‘Schauder's fixed point theorem and his skillful use of function space techniques to analyse elliptic and hyperbolic partial differential equations are contributions of lasting quality.’
- ‘In 1955, he was examining the properties of elliptic curves.’
- ‘Assuming the conduits as elliptic pipes arranged in parallel, it is possible to calculate the conductivity of the xylem conduit lumina in a stem segment from their cross-sectional dimensions.’
- ‘The theorem holds in spherical and elliptic geometry.’
- ‘During a sabbatical term at the Institut des Hautes Études Scientifique in Paris in 1985 she studied Gromov's work on elliptic methods which became the basis for much of her later work.’
- ‘His papers include work on the stability of a parachute and fluid flow past circular and elliptic cylinders.’
- ‘Lechea minor can be easily distinguished from that species by its stems more than 5 cm tall, ovate to elliptic leaves and ovoid capsules.’
- ‘This last result, known by his name, expressed a hyperbolic arc in terms of two elliptic ones.’
- ‘The 12 th Planet will pass between the earth and the sun, approaching from below the elliptic (from the direction of the South Pole) and move in a trajectory towards the North Pole.’
- ‘Earlier approaches started with an elliptic orbit of the Moon round the Earth, assuming the Sun had no effect, then perturbing the orbit to take account of the gravitation of the Sun.’
- ‘Whereas hyperbolic activity and elliptic motion characterizes the cab, a big rig manifests an elliptic activity and hyperbolic motion.’
- ‘The stamen primordia differentiate from globular primordia into elliptic appendages of differing size.’
- ‘Although less than the full Shimura - Taniyama conjecture, this result does imply that the elliptic curve given above is modular, thereby proving Fermat's Last Theorem.’
- ‘Fuchs' spot describes a round or elliptic elevated dark brown lesion located in the macula that arises because of choroidal neovascularization.’
- ‘These problems form the basis of a conjecture: every elliptic curve defined over the rational field is a factor of the Jacobian of a modular function field.’
- ‘Curves (such as the trigonometric polynomials of elliptic Fourier analysis) may be fit to such an outline, and then compared through statistical analysis of their parameters.’
- ‘The equatorial view is elliptic in Pentamerista grains and circular in Tetramerista pollen.’
- ‘Lions was one of several students who Schwartz directed to take this new approach and his doctoral thesis developed what has become the standard variational theory of linear elliptic and evolution equations.’
- ‘The near elliptic sail cut is now sort of over-elliptic giving us a fuller, more elliptic lift distribution in both loose and tight settings.’
- ‘He worked on the general theory of boundary value problems for linear systems of partial differential equations of elliptic type, finding general methods of solving boundary value problems.’
Early 18th century: from Greek elleiptikos ‘defective’, from elleipein ‘leave out, fall short’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.