Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Britishanother term for moose
- ‘Not long ago my friend Steve Johns was talking with a Colorado hunting guide who had led Koenig on elk and mule deer hunts.’
- ‘All of the evidence suggests, therefore, that the drawing was probably intended to represent a deer or perhaps an elk.’
- ‘Deer, elk, bear and mountain lions can all be found at this attitude.’
- ‘It had yielded both mule deer and elk for us in the past.’
- ‘Prion diseases occur in sheep, goats, mink, mule deer, elk, cats and cows.’
- ‘They resemble in these respects similar grooves on the antlers of moose and elk and the frill and horns of Triceratops.’
- ‘Since the area was once home to buffalo, elk, deer, and antelope herds, grazing is another management tool.’
- ‘The land around the ranch is a protected wintering area for elk, deer and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘Researchers are not even sure yet how the disease spreads from deer to deer or elk to elk.’
- ‘Although they scavenge less often than Bald Eagles, they will eat carrion of deer and elk, especially in winter.’
- ‘Bears in Glacier National Park follow wolf packs and mountain lions to remote regions using them as providers of meals of deer and elk.’
- ‘Traditionally, the Blackfoot made their clothing from the hides of buffalo, deer, elk, and antelope.’
- ‘After I swapped for it, I took six mule deer and an elk before moving up to more ‘modern’ guns.’
- ‘The wildflowers will be out and so will the elk, deer, sea lions, seals, and sea birds.’
- ‘In some parts of America, people like to hunt deer, elk and bears, while in other areas they hunt wild boars.’
- ‘Deer, elk, and sometimes bobcat and coyote may be seen or heard from the cabin boundary.’
- ‘Much more demanding is big game hunting for brown bear, elk and deer.’
- ‘Coyotes, white-tailed deer, elk, and even alligators can cause problems on the ground.’
- ‘Soon after the studies began, however, Foothills deer and elk began dying from a mysterious disease.’
- ‘As these species became extinct, the giant birds switched to bison, elk, and deer.’
2North Americananother term for wapiti
Late 15th century: probably from Old English elh, eolh, with substitution of k for h.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.