Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Britishanother term for moose
- ‘Although they scavenge less often than Bald Eagles, they will eat carrion of deer and elk, especially in winter.’
- ‘All of the evidence suggests, therefore, that the drawing was probably intended to represent a deer or perhaps an elk.’
- ‘The wildflowers will be out and so will the elk, deer, sea lions, seals, and sea birds.’
- ‘The land around the ranch is a protected wintering area for elk, deer and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘Prion diseases occur in sheep, goats, mink, mule deer, elk, cats and cows.’
- ‘Soon after the studies began, however, Foothills deer and elk began dying from a mysterious disease.’
- ‘After I swapped for it, I took six mule deer and an elk before moving up to more ‘modern’ guns.’
- ‘Coyotes, white-tailed deer, elk, and even alligators can cause problems on the ground.’
- ‘Researchers are not even sure yet how the disease spreads from deer to deer or elk to elk.’
- ‘Deer, elk, and sometimes bobcat and coyote may be seen or heard from the cabin boundary.’
- ‘As these species became extinct, the giant birds switched to bison, elk, and deer.’
- ‘It had yielded both mule deer and elk for us in the past.’
- ‘Not long ago my friend Steve Johns was talking with a Colorado hunting guide who had led Koenig on elk and mule deer hunts.’
- ‘In some parts of America, people like to hunt deer, elk and bears, while in other areas they hunt wild boars.’
- ‘They resemble in these respects similar grooves on the antlers of moose and elk and the frill and horns of Triceratops.’
- ‘Much more demanding is big game hunting for brown bear, elk and deer.’
- ‘Since the area was once home to buffalo, elk, deer, and antelope herds, grazing is another management tool.’
- ‘Bears in Glacier National Park follow wolf packs and mountain lions to remote regions using them as providers of meals of deer and elk.’
- ‘Traditionally, the Blackfoot made their clothing from the hides of buffalo, deer, elk, and antelope.’
- ‘Deer, elk, bear and mountain lions can all be found at this attitude.’
2North Americananother term for wapiti
Late 15th century: probably from Old English elh, eolh, with substitution of k for h.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.