One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supernatural creature of folk tales, typically represented as a small, delicate, elusive figure in human form with pointed ears, magical powers, and a capricious nature.‘birthmarks were thought to be bruises left by elves’‘with his pointed chin, he might have been an elf out of story-land’
pixie, fairy, sprite, imp, brownieView synonyms
- ‘We cannot be together because a human and an elf are not meant to fall in love.’
- ‘For a start, it is in a little house in the woodland beside the hotel, leading me to suspect that the staff would be elves and pixies.’
- ‘At this time, the humans and elves were able to live peaceably with each other.’
- ‘As an elf, she had a great love of nature so she felt it was her mission to keep these plants alive.’
- ‘A few of the elves with the bows lowered them and looked at each other in uncertainty.’
- ‘An elf, one of the purest creatures on earth, would pass away all alone in the wood.’
- ‘The two dwarves glared at the human and the other elves but offered nothing but a grunt.’
- ‘Eragon mounted his horse and together, the elves and humans made their way into the Toliné Forest.’
- ‘Suddenly jumping into a sprint, he raced over to the elf just as the dragon opened its mouth.’
- ‘The dragon was angry with the elf and swore he would make his life miserable if he could.’
- ‘She was surrounded by evil looking dwarves that sounded like elves from their description.’
- ‘The friendship between Legolas and Gimli unites elves and dwarves, traditionally enemies.’
- ‘Pandora had never seen a girl elf or a young elf and wondered if they also had long white beads.’
- ‘Hope they don't skip over the part where the elf and dwarf bet over how many orcs they can kill.’
- ‘There are elves and centaurs and unicorns and mermaids and flying lynxes and all shapes of mythical things.’
- ‘They say that there was a war between good and bad and the souls were the reminiscence of the humans and elves that fought.’
- ‘The faces below him were a mixture of men, elves, fair folk, and dwarves.’
- ‘I said to her, if she really was a fairy, she should watch out for the elves that lived around the halls.’
- ‘There is a group of elves or goblins or aliens or something who show up as I'm drifting off.’
- ‘Legend tells it that it was dragons that first taught humans and elves how to use magic.’
Old English, of Germanic origin; related to German Alp ‘nightmare’.
Extremely low frequency.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.