Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Bland recorded background music played in public places.
- ‘Feel the elevator music wash over you.’
- ‘Even the elevator music, which included a Muzak Elvis soundtrack couldn't ruin the two hours of yoga for lazy people.’
- ‘She walked inside the small area, humming to herself to the elevator music.’
- ‘Norah Jones and Diana Krall are going to sound like elevator music.’
- ‘There already is a toll levied for elevator music - the owner of the elevator pays for it.’
- ‘There was piped elevator music somewhere under the drone of the engines.’
- ‘Somewhere overhead, light elevator music dulled the mood with the weak lighting fixtures.’
- ‘The film quality is atrocious and the "score" is relentless elevator music.’
- ‘Suggestions include a video tape of corn growing, a CD of elevator music, or a simple can of spam.’
- ‘The rest of it seems to me elevator music for the church.’
- ‘But the Walkman seemed to make everywhere we go an elevator and all music into elevator music.’
- ‘The best thing about Mall Tycoon is undoubtedly the elevator music.’
- ‘Natalie scowled in disgust at the elevator music that was drumming into her skull.’
- ‘I start eating my deep fried strips of beef in honey and chilly sauce in tune to elevator music.’
- ‘That type of thinking is caused by elevator music.’
- ‘The endearing melody became instrumental elevator music.’
- ‘Organ music at a hockey game is even worse than elevator music.’
- ‘The Walkman was no doubt aided in this transformation by the rise of "elevator music."’
- ‘Music, be it jazz or elevator music, is strictly no-no.’
- ‘And the sound is great, from the scary dinosaur roars to the annoying elevator music.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.