One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The annual rites performed by the ancient Greeks at the village of Eleusis near Athens in honour of Demeter and Persephone.
- ‘There he was initiated in the Eleusinian mysteries, visiting many other cities before his return to Rome, via Sicily, in summer 125.’
- ‘Here, a script of the Eleusinian mysteries is alluded to, as people re-enacted Demeter's actions after her daughter was stolen from her.’
- ‘Demeter, goddess of the Eleusinian mysteries, progenerated wheat from her womb and delegated it to her son, Triptolemus, to distribute around the world's cultures.’
- ‘Hadrian himself had worshipped at the ancient shrine of the Eleusinian mysteries in Greece and a variety of mystery religions became respectable and accepted.’
- ‘In addition to that, I also discovered that the person who first put forward the theory that psychotropic substances were involved in the Eleusinian mysteries was Robert Graves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.