Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The annual rites performed by the ancient Greeks at the village of Eleusis near Athens in honour of Demeter and Persephone.
- ‘Demeter, goddess of the Eleusinian mysteries, progenerated wheat from her womb and delegated it to her son, Triptolemus, to distribute around the world's cultures.’
- ‘There he was initiated in the Eleusinian mysteries, visiting many other cities before his return to Rome, via Sicily, in summer 125.’
- ‘Here, a script of the Eleusinian mysteries is alluded to, as people re-enacted Demeter's actions after her daughter was stolen from her.’
- ‘Hadrian himself had worshipped at the ancient shrine of the Eleusinian mysteries in Greece and a variety of mystery religions became respectable and accepted.’
- ‘In addition to that, I also discovered that the person who first put forward the theory that psychotropic substances were involved in the Eleusinian mysteries was Robert Graves.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.