One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large seal that breeds on the west coast of North America and the islands around Antarctica. The male is much larger than the female and has a very thick neck and an inflatable snout.
Genus Mirounga, family Phocidae: two species
- ‘The northern elephant seal, Mirounga angustirostris, is known as the deepest continually diving phocid seal.’
- ‘It's home to the threatened southern elephant seal, the fur seal, two species of albatross and several species of, yes, penguin.’
- ‘To a lesser extent harbor seals are eaten, and we suspect on at least one occasion the birds found and fed upon a dead elephant seal.’
- ‘A male southern elephant seal, like the juvenile in the foreground here, is unmistakable, with an inflatable nose and four tons of flesh.’
- ‘However, the overall allelic diversity of the Mediterranean monk seal, together with that of the Hawaiian monk seal and that of the northern elephant seal, is among the lowest recorded.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.