Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The study of stationary electric charges or fields as opposed to electric currents.
- ‘Each energetic effect can be modeled mathematically, using fundamental knowledge of electrostatics and physical chemistry.’
- ‘The study of integral equations was driven by the study of electrostatics and potential theory.’
- ‘Consideration of this effect is very important in electrostatics, when the electric field is changing on the same scales.’
- ‘Prior theoretical studies on the net contribution of electrostatics to the thermodynamics of binding have shown contradictory results.’
- ‘One of the big discoveries of early classical physics was the similarity between the forces of gravity and electrostatics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.