Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that removes suspended dust particles from a gas or exhaust by applying a high-voltage electrostatic charge and collecting the particles on charged plates.
- ‘The farmers allege that shutting off the thermal power plant's electrostatic precipitator caused the fog.’
- ‘The flue gas-cleaning system has a semi-dry scrubber with an electrostatic precipitator, but there is no dioxin filter.’
- ‘The locations of the boiler and stack are set, and an electrostatic precipitator or baghouse may have been added since the plant was built.’
- ‘However, the installation of these devices, such as electrostatic precipitators, concentrates the fly ash in certain areas.’
- ‘Some use electrostatic precipitators, which are charged plates that collect the particles before they are attracted to something else in the room.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.