Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A style of popular music characterized by the use of electronically created sounds, with a synthesizer as the primary instrument.
- ‘The second CD takes us into self-described "acid, rave, electropop" territory.’
- ‘This post-modern pilfering continues: a squirt of rock robotics can't mask the electro-pop stench of Gary Numan on Radio.’
- ‘But a word of warning: this time around there are no electro-pop / ragtime crossovers to be found.’
- ‘His gripping acoustic cover of countryfolk the Knife's electro-pop "Heartbeats" was even a minor hit in his homeland.’
- ‘The album also features a cover of Can's I Want More, which sees Kirk adopting a rare electro-pop format.’
- ‘Yes, electro pop is here to stay.’
- ‘For fans of 1980s electro-pop, nothing could be sweeter.’
- ‘Twenty-four hours after a set of robotically performed electro-pop, the Old Town venue went up in smoke.’
- ‘Imagine five guys all on synths, moogs and drum machines playing dancy electro-pop songs with great energy and build ups.’
- ‘Since then her brand of electro-pop, via the album Read My Lips, has made a huge splash.’
- ‘With last year's 604 album, the Liverpool-based quartet became poster children for the electro-pop revival.’
- ‘Yet 20 years on, their skeletal electro-pop has spawned a monster.’
- ‘Brooklyn-based electro-pop trio Au Revoir Simone is back with a follow-up to the 2007 release, The Bird of Music.’
- ‘Also on the bill will be some ambient space improv by Tectonic Plates and some indie electro pop care of the Spins.’
- ‘The acoustic replaces the electric and there is no electro-pop numbers like Mayday to take the album on a different tangent.’
- ‘I suppose it only makes sense that all the coolest electro-pop has been coming from our Nordic neighbours in Scandinavia.’
- ‘Staccato beats, tinny keys and metrosexual anxiety permeate Last Exit, the debut full-length by Hamilton, Ontario electro-pop trio Junior Boys.’
- ‘I instantly sober up (somewhat) and pinch myself as I chew the fat with the godfather of electro-pop.’
- ‘I'm not sure what to make of the current re-hashing of 80s electro-pop, it's a dilemma.’
- ‘We would like to believe good can be found in everyone and everything, including electro pop / rock music.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.