Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The movement of charged particles in a fluid or gel under the influence of an electric field.
- ‘The purity of enzyme preparations was analysed by gel electrophoresis and spectral analysis.’
- ‘The first was protein analysis using sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘They separated the DNA out of the blood and analyzed it with conformational gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘Proteins were separated by sodium dodecyl sulphate/polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis as described previously.’
- ‘The results of liver tests were normal, as were those of a chemistry panel and hemoglobin electrophoresis.’
Early 20th century: from electro- + Greek phorēsis being carried.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.