One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounChemistry Physics
The movement of charged particles in a fluid or gel under the influence of an electric field.
- ‘The results of liver tests were normal, as were those of a chemistry panel and hemoglobin electrophoresis.’
- ‘The purity of enzyme preparations was analysed by gel electrophoresis and spectral analysis.’
- ‘They separated the DNA out of the blood and analyzed it with conformational gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘The first was protein analysis using sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘Proteins were separated by sodium dodecyl sulphate/polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis as described previously.’
Early 20th century: from electro- + Greek phorēsis ‘being carried’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.