Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounPhysics Chemistry
The movement of charged particles in a fluid or gel under the influence of an electric field.
- ‘Proteins were separated by sodium dodecyl sulphate/polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis as described previously.’
- ‘The results of liver tests were normal, as were those of a chemistry panel and hemoglobin electrophoresis.’
- ‘The purity of enzyme preparations was analysed by gel electrophoresis and spectral analysis.’
- ‘They separated the DNA out of the blood and analyzed it with conformational gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘The first was protein analysis using sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.’
Early 20th century: from electro- + Greek phorēsis ‘being carried’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.