Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A popular style of music deriving from techno and rave and having a more ambient, esoteric, or cerebral quality.
- ‘He is long credited as the master of fusing Indian classical music with electronica.’
- ‘Instead, their music successfully extends electronica's reach to meld with the multiplicity and playfulness of nature.’
- ‘The band plays high-energy, uplifting music that effortlessly fuses jazz, funk, hip hop, electronica and world music.’
- ‘But they consistently stock their shelves with quality, alternative music, electronica and what have you.’
- ‘Her releases, flirting in turn with ambient, electronica, techno, dub and industrial have proven to be enduring records.’
2Electronic devices or technology considered collectively.
- ‘Who can bring a tear to your eye with a high tech electronica gadget that sits comfortably in the palm of his hand?’
- ‘On show at the Electronica show was a device for controlling start and stop of motors without sensors.’
1990s: from electronic + -a.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.