Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘messages are exchanged by electronic mail’another term for email
- ‘Thank you for your electronic mail message concerning your travel experience.’
- ‘It handles incoming and outgoing electronic mail messages, Web pages and file downloads.’
- ‘I test these hypotheses using data from an electronic mail survey of a random sample of students at a large university in the United States.’
- ‘Many conversations can take place online via electronic mail so that participants don't have to all be present at once, and archives can permit following previous discussions.’
- ‘To better ensure the confidentiality of all electronic mail addresses, I sent each survey individually to an electronic mail address rather than using one group list with all 275 addresses.’
- ‘Then, the transfer data are not stored into the portable telephone terminal but stored directly into a memory of the electronic mail terminal.’
- ‘Many people exchanged electronic mail and instant messages with no difficulties.’
- ‘As was her everyday custom, she turned on her computer and looked over her electronic mail account for letters.’
- ‘Further, if the given electronic mail message is determined to be junk mail, the e-mail systems of other trusted users in the group dispose of unviewed copies of the junk e-mail.’
- ‘The Internet uses simple mail transfer protocol to transmit electronic mail and most business transactions.’
- ‘The invention concerns an improved electronic mail system, wherein incoming mail is automatically sorted into mailboxes, based on criteria defined by the user.’
- ‘Any two Unix machines could exchange point-to-point electronic mail over ordinary phone lines; this capability was built into the system, not an optional extra.’
- ‘Users should avoid practices that easily lead to security hazards; in particular they should not start up arbitrary executable attachments received via electronic mail.’
- ‘Increasingly, it appears that to master spam and reclaim electronic mail as a trusted communications medium, the entire e-mail system must be rethought.’
- ‘E-mail is not just electronic mail sent via the internet.’
- ‘In the course of your work, you will have to communicate via electronic mail.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.