Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring electrical potential without drawing any current from the circuit.
- ‘Protein was added to both sides of the membrane, and the increase of the membrane conductance due to insertion of pores was observed with the electrometer.’
- ‘The studies were done using a physical properties measurement system and electrometers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.’
- ‘Electrostatic methods are normally used, such as the field mill, which measures induced electric charge, or an ultra-high-impedance electrometer voltmeter.’
- ‘Rather, he was standing still, carefully reading a delicate instrument inside his apartment, when lightning struck an iron rod outside to which the electrometer was connected.’
- ‘To detect the small resulting current, she used an electrometer of an excellent design created by Pierre and his physicist brother, Jacques, some years earlier.’
- ‘Cables aside, he carried out research into atmospheric electricity, inventing the water-dropping collector, and vastly improving the electrometer.’
- ‘Shortly after Antoine Becquerel and others developed the electrometer, John Mothée Gaugain made the first precise measurements of pyroelectric charges in 1859.’
- ‘Voltage output from the electrometer was sent to a chart recorder and collected on computer disk via a data acquisition system.’
- ‘Hertz generated cathode rays inside an apparatus that included an electrometer to measure the electrical charge of the rays.’
- ‘The electrodes from each specimen measured were connected to an electrometer, which in turn was connected to a Pentium PC, which yielded a printout of the measurement.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.