Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The range of wavelengths or frequencies over which electromagnetic radiation extends.
- ‘The frequency range of the electromagnetic spectrum that is visible to the human eye (and which we refer to as ‘color’) is a very small region in the entire range of photon energies we have observed in nature.’
- ‘The terahertz region lies between electronic and optical wave frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum, and ranges from 100 GHz to 10 THz in frequency.’
- ‘The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end.’
- ‘The radio frequency electromagnetic spectrum is more important to the Department of the Navy today than it has ever been in the more than 100-year history of radio.’
- ‘The electromagnetic spectrum is composed of a range of radiation frequencies from radio waves to X-ray and gamma waves.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.