One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Chemical decomposition produced by passing an electric current through a liquid or solution containing ions.
- ‘Perhaps the best known example of electrolysis is the electrolytic decomposition of water to produce hydrogen and oxygen.’
- ‘During electrolysis an anion is attracted to the anode (positive electrode).’
- ‘The free element sodium was first produced in 1807 by the English chemist Humphry Davy by electrolysis of molten sodium hydroxide.’
- ‘This is related to their behavior during electrolysis where the ions move to the two opposite electrodes.’
- ‘The technique that he developed, electrolysis of potassium fluoride in anhydrous liquid hydrogen fluoride, is still used today, with some modifications.’
2The removal of hair roots or small blemishes on the skin by the application of heat using an electric current.
- ‘We also refer patients for mechanical control measures of hair growth including electrolysis and laser therapy.’
- ‘It is appropriate to institute permanent methods of hair removal by way of electrolysis or laser ablation after suppression of hyperandrogenism has been achieved.’
- ‘They don't get rid of hair forever; you'd need to get electrolysis or laser hair removal for that.’
- ‘It's relatively cheap compared to electrolysis and laser hair removal.’
- ‘However, electrolysis is considered to be a permanent method of hair removal.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.