Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test or record of brain activity produced by electroencephalography:‘I had an electroencephalogram and a number of other tests’
- ‘It is necessary to investigate the relationship between each muscle stiffness and brain activities by electroencephalogram, positron emission tomography, and so on.’
- ‘The electroencephalogram and computed tomographic scan were within normal limits.’
- ‘Nearly all of the studies we reviewed mentioned the standard electroencephalogram as an absolute requirement for the diagnosis of epilepsy.’
- ‘Computed tomography scans showed that her cerebral hemispheres had atrophied, and electroencephalograms showed that she was without any cortical activity.’
- ‘Her brain activity was monitored with the help of an electroencephalogram or EEG.’
- ‘Encephalopathy usually can be documented by slow wave activity on an electroencephalogram.’
- ‘An extensive evaluation including ECG, echocardiogram, Holter studies, chest radiograph, brain MRI, electroencephalogram, and carotid ultrasound was unrevealing.’
- ‘The electroencephalogram shows no sign of electrical activity in the brain, as recorded from a minimum of eight points.’
- ‘When possible, an electroencephalogram should be obtained to assess prognosis and select appropriate drug therapy.’
- ‘But internally, activity in your brain increases dramatically - recorded by an electroencephalogram in much the same way as an ECG measures your heart activity.’
- ‘Sequential electroencephalograms showed abnormal background activity with evidence of seizures, although these were not apparent clinically.’
- ‘Computed tomography of the brain and an electroencephalogram gave normal results; treatment with carbamazepine was ineffective.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.