Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dialysis in which the movement of ions is aided by an electric field applied across the semipermeable membrane.
- ‘Electricity generators are also replacing some of the disinfection and cleansing chemicals by installing systems using ozone, electrodialysis, and reverse osmosis.’
- ‘One possible application of electrodialysis is the desalination of water.’
- ‘Research and development is being undertaken on most membrane processes, including reverse osmosis, ultrafiltration, microfiltration, and electrodialysis.’
- ‘The development of electrodialysis provided a cost-effective way to desalt brackish water and spurred considerable interest in this area.’
- ‘Electrodialysis (ED) is used to transport salt ions from one solution through ion-exchange membranes to another solution under the influence of an applied electric potential difference.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.