Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A modified muscle or nerve cell that generates electricity in the electric organ of certain fishes.
- ‘The electrical organs consist of modified branchial muscle tissues which are highly modified to serve as electrocytes, miniature organic batteries.’
- ‘The nicotinic acetylcholine receptor is a ligand-gated ion channel found in the neuromuscular junction of vertebrates and the electrocytes of electric fish.’
- ‘The Torpedo electrocyte model has served to identify the most important components involved in synaptic transmission.’
- ‘The cytoplasm of the electrocyte of Electrophorus electricus possesses a meshwork of 7-nm thick filaments distributed throughout the cell.’
- ‘The electrocyte muscle-type nAChR is composed of two Î1-and one 1 -, Î-, and Î³-subunils, whereas the 2 3 nAChR consists of two Î4-and three 2-subunits in the configuration of.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.