One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A guitar with a built-in pickup or pickups which convert string vibrations into electrical signals for amplification.
- ‘The experimental sounds of keyboards and electric guitars add a contemporary influence.’
- ‘Many young Nepalis began to make music with electric guitars, synthesizers, and amplifiers.’
- ‘I started with the flute and then learned the guitar and then the electric guitar.’
- ‘I tried all of the reverb patches on drums, vocals, electric guitars and keyboards and found them to have good dynamic responses.’
- ‘Two men had been employed to play musical standards on an electric guitar and saxophone respectively.’
- ‘Acoustic and electric guitars abound, nicely augmented by some pleasantly retro-sounding organ riffing and rock-solid drumming.’
- ‘What Les Paul was to the electric guitar, Bill Putnam was to the recording studio.’
- ‘Twelve women played electric guitars and five sampled the sound of the guitars and transformed it on laptops.’
- ‘The verse trips you up with the syncopated rhythm played to dark electric guitars, contrasting completely with the melody happily sailing away on flurrying strings for the chorus.’
- ‘The company has also redesigned the internal wiring of its electric guitars to allow players to adjust the sound of the guitar string by string, creating a number of new sonic possibilities.’
- ‘Combining elements of electric guitars and human voices with amplified non-musical noises into densely cut up sound organisations, this album presented a perverse take on musical forms.’
- ‘As people made their way down the elevators towards the various lines, they were met by the sounds of his electric guitar.’
- ‘Vibes, synths and heavily reverbed flutes slide through the mix, anchored by Lee's guitar and voice, and electric guitars twang along on the margins.’
- ‘In that one room there were two pianos, 3 drum kits, 20 acoustic guitars, 10 electric guitars and one double bass.’
- ‘‘He's Mine’ is a model country-rock number with electric guitars and steady percussion offset by country harmonies and pedal steel.’
- ‘It is rare these days to find African musicians who insist on using almost exclusively traditional instruments, preferring instead to include electric guitars, bass and even electronics.’
- ‘I sighed and started to write again, humming to the sound of electric guitars and his voice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.