One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A guitar with a built-in pickup or pickups which convert string vibrations into electrical signals for amplification.
- ‘What Les Paul was to the electric guitar, Bill Putnam was to the recording studio.’
- ‘Vibes, synths and heavily reverbed flutes slide through the mix, anchored by Lee's guitar and voice, and electric guitars twang along on the margins.’
- ‘I started with the flute and then learned the guitar and then the electric guitar.’
- ‘In that one room there were two pianos, 3 drum kits, 20 acoustic guitars, 10 electric guitars and one double bass.’
- ‘Acoustic and electric guitars abound, nicely augmented by some pleasantly retro-sounding organ riffing and rock-solid drumming.’
- ‘The experimental sounds of keyboards and electric guitars add a contemporary influence.’
- ‘The verse trips you up with the syncopated rhythm played to dark electric guitars, contrasting completely with the melody happily sailing away on flurrying strings for the chorus.’
- ‘Two men had been employed to play musical standards on an electric guitar and saxophone respectively.’
- ‘It is rare these days to find African musicians who insist on using almost exclusively traditional instruments, preferring instead to include electric guitars, bass and even electronics.’
- ‘As people made their way down the elevators towards the various lines, they were met by the sounds of his electric guitar.’
- ‘Twelve women played electric guitars and five sampled the sound of the guitars and transformed it on laptops.’
- ‘The company has also redesigned the internal wiring of its electric guitars to allow players to adjust the sound of the guitar string by string, creating a number of new sonic possibilities.’
- ‘I sighed and started to write again, humming to the sound of electric guitars and his voice.’
- ‘‘He's Mine’ is a model country-rock number with electric guitars and steady percussion offset by country harmonies and pedal steel.’
- ‘Combining elements of electric guitars and human voices with amplified non-musical noises into densely cut up sound organisations, this album presented a perverse take on musical forms.’
- ‘Many young Nepalis began to make music with electric guitars, synthesizers, and amplifiers.’
- ‘I tried all of the reverb patches on drums, vocals, electric guitars and keyboards and found them to have good dynamic responses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.