Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Weird and sinister or ghostly.‘an eldritch screech’
ghostlike, spectral, phantom, wraithlike, phantasmal, phantasmic, unearthly, unnatural, supernatural, other-worldly, insubstantial, illusory, unreal, shadowy, eerie, weird, uncanny, mysterious, magical, mystic, strange, abnormal, freakishView synonyms
- ‘And then, for the first time since she had first appeared in Belloc's garden, she began to sing, in a quiet, penetrating, wordless, altogether eldritch voice.’
- ‘I need something particularly eldritch, hideous and nameless here.’
- ‘It pulsed under a huge summer moon that cast eldritch light more revealing than sunbeams, though still far kinder.’
- ‘The name suggests something eldritch is in the offing.’
- ‘There was a piercing, petrifying, eldritch screech.’
- ‘That is still the case, although there is one demure young lass whose eldritch scream would be enough to frighten even the toughest banshee.’
- ‘And then she joined hands with the other witch, and eldritch force sizzled through them like a river of blue lightning, and my plans changed on the spot.’
- ‘The whites beneath her lowered eyes showed as she said this, and for an instant Anest felt as though he spoke, not to his wife, but to a perfect stranger, the purely eldritch creature she had once been.’
- ‘They were part of a promotional kit for the film and irresistible to a collector of the eldritch and the outré.’
- ‘This random disconnection wouldn't have been too much of a problem had not the ISP used a strange and eldritch log on procedure involving the entry of username and password twice.’
Early 16th century (originally Scots): perhaps related to elf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.