One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The bluish-black or red berry of the elder, used for making jelly or wine.
- ‘There are no confirmed drug interactions with elderberry extract.’
- ‘Sugar was being added and elderberry juice being used to give colour to poor, overstretched wines.’
- ‘Elderberry extracts are generally without side effects when taken in the suggested dosages.’
- ‘An elderberry syrup over a handmade ice cream makes for a luxurious desert, too.’
- ‘As a dietary supplement, " high anthocyanin " elderberry extracts are finding their way onto health-food stores shelves.’
- ‘The most familiar use of the elder tree is probably that of the berries being cooked to make elderberry wine and various jams and jellies.’
- ‘Wild fruit jellies, such as elderberry, rowanberry, sloe or crab apple, also make a great accompaniment.’
- ‘There were also dried berries, possibly elderberries and blueberries, and a type of root.’
- ‘Elderberry wine, which is alcoholic, is a traditional country product.’
- ‘Individual breweries add such esoteric ingredients as coriander, thyme, lemongrass, figs, bananas or elderberries to give their products a unique flavour.’
2An elder tree or shrub.
- ‘Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.’
- ‘Each bed is edged with overlapping hoops formed from small cuttings of apple, elderberry and pear trees.’
- ‘The adjacent habitat usually includes red alder, black elderberry, Scouler's willow, black cottonwood, red-osier dogwood, and yellow monkey flower.’
- ‘I'm not a home brewer or wine-maker but as I gaze upon my elderberry tree, laden with blossoms and fruit, I am inspired to give it a go.’
- ‘Prominent shrubs are swamp dogwood and elderberry.’
- ‘Sambuca, which taste of licorice like Pernod, is actually flavored with flowers of the elderberry bush.’
- ‘We have the elderberry trees on our farm entirely by accident.’
- ‘With the ponds there were lots of elderberry bushes and wild rose trees.’
- ‘Red willow, arroyo willow, elderberry, and McDonald oak are present in the tree and shrub layers.’
- ‘‘We have elderberry and Nanking cherry bushes, apple and plum trees, hazelnut, walnut and butternut trees, and white pine,’ says Handeen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.