One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The bluish-black or red berry of the elder, used for making jelly or wine.
- ‘Individual breweries add such esoteric ingredients as coriander, thyme, lemongrass, figs, bananas or elderberries to give their products a unique flavour.’
- ‘Elderberry extracts are generally without side effects when taken in the suggested dosages.’
- ‘Elderberry wine, which is alcoholic, is a traditional country product.’
- ‘The most familiar use of the elder tree is probably that of the berries being cooked to make elderberry wine and various jams and jellies.’
- ‘Wild fruit jellies, such as elderberry, rowanberry, sloe or crab apple, also make a great accompaniment.’
- ‘Sugar was being added and elderberry juice being used to give colour to poor, overstretched wines.’
- ‘As a dietary supplement, " high anthocyanin " elderberry extracts are finding their way onto health-food stores shelves.’
- ‘There were also dried berries, possibly elderberries and blueberries, and a type of root.’
- ‘There are no confirmed drug interactions with elderberry extract.’
- ‘An elderberry syrup over a handmade ice cream makes for a luxurious desert, too.’
2An elder tree or shrub.
- ‘Each bed is edged with overlapping hoops formed from small cuttings of apple, elderberry and pear trees.’
- ‘‘We have elderberry and Nanking cherry bushes, apple and plum trees, hazelnut, walnut and butternut trees, and white pine,’ says Handeen.’
- ‘With the ponds there were lots of elderberry bushes and wild rose trees.’
- ‘Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.’
- ‘Prominent shrubs are swamp dogwood and elderberry.’
- ‘Red willow, arroyo willow, elderberry, and McDonald oak are present in the tree and shrub layers.’
- ‘I'm not a home brewer or wine-maker but as I gaze upon my elderberry tree, laden with blossoms and fruit, I am inspired to give it a go.’
- ‘We have the elderberry trees on our farm entirely by accident.’
- ‘The adjacent habitat usually includes red alder, black elderberry, Scouler's willow, black cottonwood, red-osier dogwood, and yellow monkey flower.’
- ‘Sambuca, which taste of licorice like Pernod, is actually flavored with flowers of the elderberry bush.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.