One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large spiral-horned African antelope which lives in open woodland and grassland.
Genus Tragelaphus, family Bovidae: the giant eland (T. derbianus) and the common eland (T. oryx)
- ‘After a few weeks, the eland will be pregnancy tested - and the researchers will wait out the 11-month incubation period.’
- ‘In the dry season, July to November, the river is an excellent place for observing large numbers of game including lions, leopards, hunting dogs, giraffe, waterbuck, eland and warthogs.’
- ‘They are typically graceful, having long legs and horns, and include the eland, wildebeest, gazelle, springbok, hartebeest, impala, etc.’
- ‘Shy bushbuck, kudu, eland, impala, and elephant all take their turn whilst buffalo and waterbuck make their way to the sandy banks of the Zambesi.’
- ‘Greater kudu, bushbuck and eland, the spiral-horned tribe of antelope approach watering points with caution because of lions which patronise these areas.’
- ‘Across the open grasslands are scattered various members of the antelope family - horned bushbucks, waterbucks, eland, topi, gazelle and impala.’
- ‘Animals include duikers, eland and colobus, vervet and blue monkeys.’
- ‘The women's tribe, the Moroyok, raised antelopes, including the eland, which the Maasai claim to have been the first species of cattle.’
- ‘Recent estimates suggest that there are more than 12,000 elephants, 3,000 Cape buffalo, 9,000 sable antelope, 3,000 elands, and a few hundred each of leopards, lions, and spotted hyena, among other animals.’
- ‘There are antelope species like eland, impala, puku, waterbuck, bushbuck and kudu whereas lion leopard, wild dog and hyaena are also present.’
- ‘Cantering herds of zebra, eland and roan antelope scatter then coalesce as we drone over them.’
Late 18th century: via Afrikaans from Dutch, ‘elk’, from obsolete German Elend, from Lithuanian élnis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.