An additional name; a nickname.
sobriquet, byname, tag, label, familiar name, epithetView synonyms
- ‘The people have given me the eke name of Pinchsniff, although I really cannot imagine why.’
- ‘Arngrim was as famous for his family as for the learning which won him his eke-name.’
- ‘It seems fair to assume that many of his humbler namesakes had their own eke-names too.’
- ‘The name sounds like that of a quarrelsome fellow who gained the eke-name of Nettle.’
- ‘We have thousands of instances, in all times and lands, of such eke-names being adopted by the person concerned.’
Middle English: from eke meaning ‘addition’ (see nickname).