Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The eviction of a tenant from property.‘the landlord shall serve a writ in ejectment’
- ‘When and where agents obtained civil-bill decrees and writs of ejectment in the county courts, thereby forcing the tenants to bear some of the legal costs, League organizers had a much easier time recruiting new members.’
- ‘Attacks on process servers grew so serious that more than one county-court judge allowed them to post their ejectment writs in the nearest town or marketplace instead of having to enter what had become a virtual combat zone.’
- ‘Lord Ashbrook dug his heels in and threatened to unleash a shower of ejectment writs if his tenants did not pay the full amount promptly - a threat that evidently proved effective.’
- ‘The lower courts, he stated, are also continuing with the hearing of ejectment suits filed by various landlords.’
- ‘There were several public meetings, a court case, a supreme court hearing and writs of ejectment, but Forsyth refused to go.’
- ‘The true test whether a rightful owner has been dispossessed or not is whether ejectment will lie at his suit against some other person.’
- ‘We would seek ejectment because the people wouldn't have clear title to the land.’
- 1.1 The process by which an evicted tenant seeks to recover possession and damages.‘he brought an action in ejectment against the rector’
- ‘Certainly, if you bring an action in ejectment, if you have a right to possession of the property, you certainly can do that.’
- ‘An action for mesne profits, unlike ejectment, allows the claimant to claim damages for his loss during the period that he has been dispossessed.’
- ‘Is it significant that it may be a form of summary remedy or an ordinary action of ejectment?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.