One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A race or series of races for eight-oared rowing boats.‘he twice rowed in the university trial eights’
- ‘The regatta program consists of Olympic and non-Olympic boat classes, some junior events and freshman eights, but the highlighted races are the men's and women's single.’
- ‘The race is part of an afternoon of competition between the two universities which culminates in the men's senior eights - the Manchester equivalent of the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race.’
- ‘Perhaps the surprise of the day was the York women's junior sculling squad's victory in the novice eights at their first attempt at racing in a sweep-oared boat after only two outings in this discipline.’
- ‘But it was day two that created the most interest when Canada and United States faced off in both the men's and women's championship eights.’
- ‘In keeping with tradition, the last race of the Championships was the men's eights.’
- 1.1 (at Oxford University) a series of races for eight-oared rowing boats held in Trinity Term.‘it is only four weeks until Eights’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.