Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A race for eight-oared rowing boats.‘he twice rowed in the university trial eights’
- ‘The race is part of an afternoon of competition between the two universities which culminates in the men's senior eights - the Manchester equivalent of the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race.’
- ‘But it was day two that created the most interest when Canada and United States faced off in both the men's and women's championship eights.’
- ‘The regatta program consists of Olympic and non-Olympic boat classes, some junior events and freshman eights, but the highlighted races are the men's and women's single.’
- ‘Perhaps the surprise of the day was the York women's junior sculling squad's victory in the novice eights at their first attempt at racing in a sweep-oared boat after only two outings in this discipline.’
- ‘In keeping with tradition, the last race of the Championships was the men's eights.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.