One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A northern sea duck, of which the male is mainly black-and-white with a coloured head, and the female brown.
- ‘Both of these types are plentiful on the Cape, as are sea ducks, such as scoters and eiders, viewable from many vantage points.’
- ‘They frequently nest in colonies, often in association with eiders.’
- ‘Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.’
- ‘Terns and eiders had been disturbed, while eiders had been doubly hit because the pickers were depleting the mussel beds on which they feed.’
- ‘Primary predators for these eiders were large gulls, and occasionally evidence of mammalian predation was found.’
Late 17th century: from Icelandic æthur, from Old Norse æthr.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.