One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large nocturnal African cobra with a thick body and large head.Also called asp
- ‘The Egyptian cobra is one of the largest cobras of the African continent.’
- ‘She would not live this way, so history says she had an asp, which was an Egyptian cobra, brought to her hidden in a basket of figs.’
- ‘Most of them use the hooded cobra, and in Egypt the most popular species is the aggressive Egyptian cobra, which can grow to a length of almost eight feet and looks most impressive when it puffs up its hood.’
- ‘Visitors to North Africa today are most likely to see the Egyptian cobra being used by snake charmers as part of their performance.’
- ‘By common consent, Cleopatra's ticket to oblivion would have been the Egyptian cobra.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.