One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large nocturnal African cobra with a thick body and large head.
Naja haje, family ElapidaeAlso called asp
- ‘The Egyptian cobra is one of the largest cobras of the African continent.’
- ‘She would not live this way, so history says she had an asp, which was an Egyptian cobra, brought to her hidden in a basket of figs.’
- ‘Most of them use the hooded cobra, and in Egypt the most popular species is the aggressive Egyptian cobra, which can grow to a length of almost eight feet and looks most impressive when it puffs up its hood.’
- ‘By common consent, Cleopatra's ticket to oblivion would have been the Egyptian cobra.’
- ‘Visitors to North Africa today are most likely to see the Egyptian cobra being used by snake charmers as part of their performance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.