One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centred.‘he's selfish, egotistical, and arrogant’
self-centred, selfish, egocentric, egomaniacal, self-interested, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-importantView synonyms
- ‘We can all create differences at some kind of level, but it is egotistic to think we can make some major changes.’
- ‘Maybe I'm egotistic, but I do it for myself, not for anyone else.’
- ‘Political parties are voluntary associations with the egotistic aim of imposing their notion of how society should be ordered upon their fellow citizens.’
- ‘It will take him time to overcome his egotistic ways, and until then someone must protect those who he refuses to help.’
- ‘He is possessed of an enormous amount of self-confidence, but I don't believe he is egotistic in the normal, widely understood sense.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.