One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centred.‘he's selfish, egotistical, and arrogant’
self-centred, selfish, egocentric, egomaniacal, self-interested, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-importantView synonyms
- ‘Maybe I'm egotistic, but I do it for myself, not for anyone else.’
- ‘We can all create differences at some kind of level, but it is egotistic to think we can make some major changes.’
- ‘It will take him time to overcome his egotistic ways, and until then someone must protect those who he refuses to help.’
- ‘He is possessed of an enormous amount of self-confidence, but I don't believe he is egotistic in the normal, widely understood sense.’
- ‘Political parties are voluntary associations with the egotistic aim of imposing their notion of how society should be ordered upon their fellow citizens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.