Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centred.‘he's selfish, egotistical, and arrogant’
self-centred, selfish, egocentric, egomaniacal, self-interested, self-seeking, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-loving, narcissistic, vain, conceited, proud, self-importantboastful, braggingView synonyms
- ‘Political parties are voluntary associations with the egotistic aim of imposing their notion of how society should be ordered upon their fellow citizens.’
- ‘We can all create differences at some kind of level, but it is egotistic to think we can make some major changes.’
- ‘Maybe I'm egotistic, but I do it for myself, not for anyone else.’
- ‘It will take him time to overcome his egotistic ways, and until then someone must protect those who he refuses to help.’
- ‘He is possessed of an enormous amount of self-confidence, but I don't believe he is egotistic in the normal, widely understood sense.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.