Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is excessively conceited or absorbed in themselves; self-seeker.‘he is a self-absorbed egotist’
self-seeker, egocentric, egomaniac, self admirer, narcissistboaster, brag, bragger, braggart, show-offblowhard, swank, big-headshowboatskiteswankpotView synonyms
- ‘But egotists are hardly a new arrival in politics.’
- ‘From such a steely egotist one can expect little else.’
- ‘He was at one moment a generous supporter of his fellow artists and at an another an egotist with a patronizing attitude toward those of lesser reputation.’
- ‘He is never an egotist on the pitch and that's important.’
- ‘To be a strong director, do you have to be an egotist?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.