Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who is excessively conceited or absorbed in themselves; self-seeker.‘he is a self-absorbed egotist’
self-seeker, egocentric, egomaniac, self admirer, narcissistView synonyms
- ‘To be a strong director, do you have to be an egotist?’
- ‘From such a steely egotist one can expect little else.’
- ‘He was at one moment a generous supporter of his fellow artists and at an another an egotist with a patronizing attitude toward those of lesser reputation.’
- ‘He is never an egotist on the pitch and that's important.’
- ‘But egotists are hardly a new arrival in politics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.