One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The purple egg-shaped fruit of a tropical Old World plant, which is eaten as a vegetable; an aubergine.
- ‘Add the eggplant, onion, and tomatoes and sauté until golden brown, about three minutes.’
- ‘Tender carrots marinated in cinnamon, roasted beets in vinaigrette, and fried eggplant are all good.’
- ‘Locally produced vegetables, including eggplant, peppers, pumpkins, and greens, are sold in outdoor markets.’
- ‘Pierce the eggplants in several places, and bake them on a rimmed baking sheet until they are soft and their skins have shriveled, 20-30 minutes, depending on their size.’
- ‘Arabic cookery manuscripts from Spain show several variations on the theme of fried eggplant with stewed meat.’
- ‘The stuffed eggplant was slightly undercooked, but the flavours of cheese and herbs were delightful.’
- ‘Fingers of deliciously charred portobello mushrooms set off the eggplant's naturally smoky flavour, while a simple tomato coulis keeps things light.’
- ‘There were only three people, but we devoured the stuffed eggplant, and even had room for dessert.’
- ‘At a good Chinese restaurant, eggplant in garlic sauce is an amazing experience.’
- ‘Try any combination of marinated vegetables such as sliced sweet peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, onion, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes and zucchini.’
- ‘I don't know about you, but I love grilled eggplant.’
- ‘I had tofu lasagna, and Tara had a fantastic stuffed eggplant.’
- ‘There's an agreeably balanced salad of grilled eggplant, tomato, spinach, and chèvre.’
- ‘A typical meal consists of rice, dal, and vegetable curry using eggplant, spinach, and seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbages, or peas.’
- ‘He also encourages them to employ Mediterranean ingredients like rosemary, garlic, tomatoes and eggplant to bring out the fruit flavors of red wines.’
- ‘Dip vegetables such as eggplant, fennel, peppers, and even big portobello mushrooms in oil-enriched egg whites, then in seasoned crumbs, and bake in the oven until crusty.’
- ‘Some enjoy eggplant cooked and served with other vegetables as part of a medley.’
- ‘It's full of the sunny flavors of summer - tomatoes, eggplant and fresh basil - and reminds me of the fun I had shopping for them at my favorite outdoor store.’
- ‘Gina genuinely prefers her own roasted eggplant to any other she has tasted.’
- ‘Try to cook an eggplant soon after you buy it.’
- 1.1mass noun A dark purple colour like the skin of an aubergine.
- ‘I can also buy a taupe colored cashmere chair slipcover… if I use aubergine to dye that, will the color come out as dark purple, plum, or eggplant?’
- ‘I hope this won't mean that in the future when I listen to the show I'll think about housepainting… or maybe just see the color eggplant in my mind's eye.’
- ‘I think one wall painted in eggplant would be striking, especially if balanced with white or cream.’
- ‘In color, the dirty trend will continue with green, rust and brown-casted overdyed colors coming on strong, Curtin adds, with eggplant emerging as a hot trend.’
- ‘I was, however, worried about the imminent explosion of his head, as he had successively grown redder in the face, ending the opera in the astounding color of eggplant.’
2The large plant of the nightshade family which bears aubergines.
Solanum melongena, family Solanaceae
- ‘Start seeds of vegetables like onion, leek, pepper, eggplant and tomato now.’
- ‘It's not too late to plant more bush beans, summer squash, melons, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, zinnias, gomphrena, rudbeckia, coleus and caladiums.’
- ‘Heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, okra and New Zealand spinach will continue to produce until frost.’
- ‘It's not too late to set out plants of cucumber, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and squash.’
- ‘Look for varieties of peppers, eggplant, and okra that are resistant to wilts and other diseases.’
- ‘There are 18 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, fennel, cipollini onions, eggplant, peppers, several pear trees and a couple apple trees, too.’
- ‘Some of them also work on mite or thrips outbreaks on roses, strawberries, fruit trees, cucurbits, eggplant and other garden plants.’
- ‘Follow in mid-February with the main-crop brassicas: peppers, eggplants, lettuce, celery, leeks and a few early tomatoes.’
- ‘It causes wilt on more than 160 different kinds of plants, including strawberries, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, stone fruits, and peppers.’
- ‘Other plants, such as eggplant, peppers and potatoes, can develop this virus.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.