One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The purple egg-shaped fruit of a tropical Old World plant, which is eaten as a vegetable; an aubergine.
- ‘Locally produced vegetables, including eggplant, peppers, pumpkins, and greens, are sold in outdoor markets.’
- ‘Arabic cookery manuscripts from Spain show several variations on the theme of fried eggplant with stewed meat.’
- ‘Tender carrots marinated in cinnamon, roasted beets in vinaigrette, and fried eggplant are all good.’
- ‘At a good Chinese restaurant, eggplant in garlic sauce is an amazing experience.’
- ‘Gina genuinely prefers her own roasted eggplant to any other she has tasted.’
- ‘The stuffed eggplant was slightly undercooked, but the flavours of cheese and herbs were delightful.’
- ‘It's full of the sunny flavors of summer - tomatoes, eggplant and fresh basil - and reminds me of the fun I had shopping for them at my favorite outdoor store.’
- ‘There were only three people, but we devoured the stuffed eggplant, and even had room for dessert.’
- ‘Pierce the eggplants in several places, and bake them on a rimmed baking sheet until they are soft and their skins have shriveled, 20-30 minutes, depending on their size.’
- ‘There's an agreeably balanced salad of grilled eggplant, tomato, spinach, and chèvre.’
- ‘A typical meal consists of rice, dal, and vegetable curry using eggplant, spinach, and seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbages, or peas.’
- ‘Fingers of deliciously charred portobello mushrooms set off the eggplant's naturally smoky flavour, while a simple tomato coulis keeps things light.’
- ‘Dip vegetables such as eggplant, fennel, peppers, and even big portobello mushrooms in oil-enriched egg whites, then in seasoned crumbs, and bake in the oven until crusty.’
- ‘Some enjoy eggplant cooked and served with other vegetables as part of a medley.’
- ‘Try to cook an eggplant soon after you buy it.’
- ‘I had tofu lasagna, and Tara had a fantastic stuffed eggplant.’
- ‘He also encourages them to employ Mediterranean ingredients like rosemary, garlic, tomatoes and eggplant to bring out the fruit flavors of red wines.’
- ‘Try any combination of marinated vegetables such as sliced sweet peppers, snow peas, mushrooms, onion, eggplant, fennel, tomatoes and zucchini.’
- ‘Add the eggplant, onion, and tomatoes and sauté until golden brown, about three minutes.’
- ‘I don't know about you, but I love grilled eggplant.’
- 1.1mass noun A dark purple colour like the skin of an aubergine.
- ‘I can also buy a taupe colored cashmere chair slipcover… if I use aubergine to dye that, will the color come out as dark purple, plum, or eggplant?’
- ‘I think one wall painted in eggplant would be striking, especially if balanced with white or cream.’
- ‘I hope this won't mean that in the future when I listen to the show I'll think about housepainting… or maybe just see the color eggplant in my mind's eye.’
- ‘I was, however, worried about the imminent explosion of his head, as he had successively grown redder in the face, ending the opera in the astounding color of eggplant.’
- ‘In color, the dirty trend will continue with green, rust and brown-casted overdyed colors coming on strong, Curtin adds, with eggplant emerging as a hot trend.’
2The large plant of the nightshade family which bears aubergines.
Solanum melongena, family Solanaceae
- ‘It causes wilt on more than 160 different kinds of plants, including strawberries, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, stone fruits, and peppers.’
- ‘Heat-loving crops such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, okra and New Zealand spinach will continue to produce until frost.’
- ‘Some of them also work on mite or thrips outbreaks on roses, strawberries, fruit trees, cucurbits, eggplant and other garden plants.’
- ‘There are 18 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, fennel, cipollini onions, eggplant, peppers, several pear trees and a couple apple trees, too.’
- ‘Start seeds of vegetables like onion, leek, pepper, eggplant and tomato now.’
- ‘Follow in mid-February with the main-crop brassicas: peppers, eggplants, lettuce, celery, leeks and a few early tomatoes.’
- ‘Look for varieties of peppers, eggplant, and okra that are resistant to wilts and other diseases.’
- ‘Other plants, such as eggplant, peppers and potatoes, can develop this virus.’
- ‘It's not too late to set out plants of cucumber, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and squash.’
- ‘It's not too late to plant more bush beans, summer squash, melons, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, zinnias, gomphrena, rudbeckia, coleus and caladiums.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.