One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for timing the cooking of a boiled egg, traditionally a sealed glass container with a narrow neck in the middle through which, when the flask is inverted, sand flows for a fixed amount of time.
- ‘If you are spending a disproportionate amount of time on the telephone, you might consider the use of an egg timer, or some other device, to limit your calls.’
- ‘However, my mother was ecstatic about her egg timer.’
- ‘You can also use an egg timer to remind you to turn off the water.’
- ‘She had the uncanny ability to turn things around in a flash - as if she was flipping over an egg timer.’
- ‘He would use an egg timer at meal times, threatening to hit the children if they did not eat up in time.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.